Questions to Ask Your Physician
When you meet with your radiation oncologist, don’t be afraid to ask questions! You will feel most comfortable when you are well informed.
Here is a list of questions to help you get started. You will likely have other questions specific to your cancer location or type.
- What treatment options are right for my cancer?
- Would brachytherapy be an appropriate treatment option?
- Will I need other treatments, such as surgery, external beam radiation, hormone therapy, or chemotherapy?
- When will treatment start?
- What is the goal of the treatment?
Quality of Life
- Will the procedure hurt?
- What are some of the side effects I can expect from my treatment and how long should they last?
- Will I be able to continue my normal activities (work, exercise, sexual activity) during/after treatment?
- Will brachytherapy affect my sex life or ability to have children?
- After treatment, how often will I need to return for follow up?
- How do you define treatment success?
- What is the probability that brachytherapy will work for me?
- What are the survival rates for those who receive brachytherapy for my cancer type?
- What are the chances the cancer will return?
Your Healthcare Team
- How many patients have you treated with my type of cancer?
- Will I be able to receive my treatment at this facility, or will I need to go to multiple facilities for treatment?
- Are there services available, such as support groups, that can help me and my family during this time?
- How may I contact you if I have additional questions or need to reach you during my treatment?